The South Huntsville Main Business Association (DBA South Huntsville Main) was established to support, promote, and advocate for our South Huntsville businesses. We are looking for a full time Executive Director to help us carry out our mission. The Executive Director will also serve as the “Main Street Program Director” for the South Huntsville Main Street Program. If you are a person who is highly focused, mission driven and have the passion to impact real change see below for more details about this position.
South Huntsville Main is an established not for profit 501c6 with a track record of success in South Huntsville’s revitalization. The organization has also established a not for profit 501c3 “Friends of South Huntsville” to assist in fundraising for projects within the district. Since June of 2018, the district has seen over 150 million private dollars of investment in the district and received numerous “Main Street” awards. With the recent demolition of Haysland Square and the new master planned Hays Farm community being developed over the next five years and additional redevelopment opportunities along the parkway, the South Huntsville Main Street program is helping redevelop South Huntsville for the next generation. With the financial support of the City of Huntsville, our stakeholders, local businesses, along with significant volunteer support South Huntsville has the opportunity to create a vibrant community for generations to come.
The Executive Director should have leadership, coaching and relationship management experience. Experience fundraising and knowledge of securing Federal and State grants is highly desirable. They should have education and/or experience in one or more of the following areas: commercial district management, economics, finance, public relations, planning, business administration, public administration, retailing, volunteer or non-profit administration, and/or small business development. The director must be entrepreneurial, energetic, imaginative, well organized and capable of functioning effectively in an independent environment. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential. They should have a passion for building consensus,
fund raising, and creativity in event planning.
South Huntsville Main Business Association
Executive Director Job Description
The Executive Director with the support of the SHMBA Board of directors, program committees and other volunteers shall be responsible for the following:
● Serve as administrative support for the SHMBA Board of directors including support with monthly program planning and logistics, member recruitment and retention, special events, and board meetings.
● Coordinate the activity of the Main Street program committees, ensure that communication among committees is well established, and assist committee volunteers with implementation of work plan items.
● Manage all administrative aspects of the Main Street program, including purchasing, record keeping, budget development, accounting, preparing all reports required by the state Main Street program and by the National Main Street Center, assisting with the preparation of reports to funding agencies, and supervising employees or consultants.
● Develop in conjunction with the Main Street program’s board of directors, the district’s economic development strategies that are based on the UrbanMain Street approach.
● Develop and conduct on-going public awareness and education programs designed to enhance appreciation of the district’s assets and to foster an understanding of the Main Street program’s goals and objectives.
● Manage district public relations, to include communication with businesses and the general public.
● Assess the management capacity of major district organizations and encourage improvements in the district community’s ability to carry out joint activities such as promotional events, advertising, and special events.
● Work with the Chamber of Commerce, commercial realtors, developers, and other entities to assist with business recruitment,to include making calls and direct contacts with prospective businesses.
● Advise district merchants’ organizations and/or Chamber of Commerce retail committees on Main Street program activities and goals, help coordinate joint promotional events such as festivals or business promotions, and improve the quality and success of events to attract people to the district.
● Help build strong and productive relationships with appropriate public agencies at the local and state levels.
● Work with City of Huntsville departments, stakeholders, and civic leaders to support South Huntsville’s revitalization efforts.
Leadership & Management Responsibilities
● Actively engage and energize volunteers, board members, event committees, partnering organizations, and funders to the betterment of SHMBA.
● Provide ongoing support to the board of directors; attend board meetings and prepare presentations as required; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for both ongoing operations as well as plans for future development.
● Supervise any temporary or permanent employees, as well as professional consultants.
● Monitor the annual program budget and maintain financial records of the organization using Quickbooks online.
Fundraising & Communications
● Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities, including sponsorships to support existing program operations and future activities and grant opportunities.
● Responsible for the brand management of South Huntsville and South Huntsville Main, from web presence and social media to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand for the district.
● Us external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities for project development and fundraising.
➔ Relevant associate or bachelor’s degree with a track record of effectively leading an organization and ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies and projects that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth. Senior management experience is preferred but not required.
➔ Unwavering commitment to quality programs, customer relationships and organizational growth.
➔ Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff & Ability to lift up to 25pounds
➔ Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
➔ Regular travel within Huntsville/Madison County region, travel within the State of Alabama to Main Street workshops, and limited travel out of state.
➔ To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each responsibility satisfactorily.
➔ Meeting the requirements of the position may occasionally mean working flexible hours including early morning, nights and weekends.
➔ This role is a full-time position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the key responsibilities.volunteers, manage projects, develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives.
➔ Past experience managing projects and an annual budget.
➔ Past success working with a board of directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships.
➔ Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders.
➔ Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills. Practice of effective communication skills which include media, web, and social networks.
➔ Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning, project development and implementation.
➔ Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
➔ Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed to meet program objectives; creative in program development and execution.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS:
● Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
● Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
● Regular travel within Huntsville/Madison County region, travel within the State of Alabama to Main Street workshops, and limited travel out of state.
● To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each responsibility satisfactorily.
● Meeting the requirements of the position may occasionally mean working flexible hours including early morning, nights and weekends.
● This role is a full-time position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the key responsibilities.
South Huntsville Main Business Association
Executive Director Job Description
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Based on the qualifications of the selected candidate base salary is expected to be $65,000 to $85,000. Benefits to be included are flexible and the board will work with the selected candidate depending on their individual needs.
South Huntsville Main is an equal opportunity employer and encourages a diverse pool of candidates to apply. If this sounds like your just right job, please submit your resume, a cover letter and the names of at least three professional references via email to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until midnight on April 30, 2021.
Note that the following is the anticipated process and is subject to change depending on the availability of potential candidates and the selection committee. Phone interviews will be scheduled for selected candidates on May 3-4, 2021, with onsite interviews with the top three candidates to occur on May 6-7, 2021. The selected candidate will meet with a representative of Main Street Alabama, and the board and officers of South Huntsville Main on May 10-11, 2021 A formal offer will be given on May 11, 2021 and acceptance of the offer will be due May 17, 2021. Employment start date will be June 2, 2021.